Saturday, December 27, 2014

Review of Pandora Hearts Volume 2 by Jun Mochizuki

Link to book: Pandora Hearts Volume 2

Holy crap. That is the best cover I have ever seen. This guy is awesome (in both character and looks). If he existed in real life, there would be mobs of women going completely insane. Ah, Gilbert Nightray, you are one attractive dude.

Whoo, now that's out of the way (you seriously don't understand how heavily I was fangirling about this cover), I can move on to the excellence that is this book. This is seriously one of the best mangas I have ever read. Right up there with Ouran High School Host Club.

(Fangirl mode on: I'm getting the first volume of Attack on Titan very soon [hehehe yes, best anime ever] and then Fullmetal Alchemist.) Sorry. Ahem, back to the review.

Minor spoilers ahead for this book and the previous one. 

The artwork in this book was insanely well-done. The emotion was raw on their faces. Sorrow, happiness, any emotion you can think of. All of it was beautifully portrayed. There was a part when Oz was talking to the Intention of the Abyss, and you could just see it on his face when he said:

Thanks for the invitation… but these days, I'm more into "treasure hunting" than playing with dolls.

All the while, with an adorable smile on his face. And then he proceeds to shoot the evil bunny doll.
 And I was just like:
And then I was like


Yes, Aly likes. Aly likes very much.

For some reason, that part made me super duper happy. (Yes, I actually did get up and dance around my room. Don't judge me.)

It was the a really nice glimpse into the actual character of Oz. He's sweet, and kind, but he gives ZERO BOTHERS about you, Intention of the Abyss. *snaps fingers*


(I am so sorry for how many gifs there are, but I can't restrain myself. They help me get my emotions out. Heehee… sorry.)

Moving forward into things besides how AWESOME Oz is, I would like to now talk about this complex plot. 

It's been two books and already I'm loving it. When I finished the first book a week ago, I was confused. I ain't gonna lie. I actually went to the extent of searching up the plot on the Pandora Hearts Wiki. (P.S. It didn't help. It just made me more confused.) But as soon as I started reading this book, things started sorting themselves out and making much more sense. So, if you get this book (which I highly recommend you do), I would get both the first and the second one.

Moreover, this plot is very complex but also very nicely handled. It would be really easy to mess it up or make it cheesy, but Ms. Mochizuki (or should I say Mochizuki-san/Mochizuki-sama? I don't really know; I'm not very good with Japanese) plays it out very well. I need to read more now…

Something that I noticed throughout reading this book: I never really got the sense that I was reading a Japanese manga. Obviously, it was in English and they used Japanese honorifics, but many of the recent mangas I have been reading have actually raken place in Japan, so the characters are always eating Japanese food or doing Japanese activities. I never really got that feel about that book. And that's neither good nor bad. I just wanted to say that.

Other characters: 

1) We have Gilbert, who goes through terrible things which I won't mention because SPOILERS. Overall, he is a really cool guy with an incredible amount of loyalty, which is among some of the traits that make him very desirable.

2) Xerxes Break is awesome. He is legitimately so hardcore, and I love it! He has a really fun personality and gives off the air of sassiness. He's like a blonde Levi. But not really.

3) Alice has the air of a very spoiled child that throws fits whenever she doesn't get what she wants. Despite this, I have confidence in Ms. Mochizuki's ability with character development. Though I haven't read many of her books (two to be exact), I have read many reviews that tell of how great the series is as it goes along. So, I'm not really that worried about Alice. 

I highly suggest that you read this series or at least, read the first two. It is an excellent manga with beautiful artwork, dynamic characters, and it doesn't take itself too seriously (I mean, there's CHIBIS!).

I rate this book a whopping


Thanks for reading this review. Don't forget to comment, leave suggestions or whatever!

No comments:

Post a Comment