Monday, May 19, 2014

Review of Don't Look Back by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Link to book: Don't Look Back by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Wow. Just wow. This book was a lot better than I expected. And I really enjoyed it.

Though I've never read any other books of Ms. Armentrout's, I am familiar with them. The first book of her Lux series, Obsidian, has been on my to-read list for a while. Maybe I'll go out of my way to read it now that I have seen what this author can do.

I picked this book up at the library several days ago, and decided that it was THE CHOSEN ONE and I would read it first out of all the other books sitting on my little stack.


Let me tell you, I was up until 1AM reading this book and I could hardly put it down. The characters were real, the plot was hooking (I'll talk about that later), and the emotions were raw and real.

Let's get down to it.

Minor Spoilers.

Samantha is a stranger in her own life. 

I never knew how accurate that would be and how real Ms. Armentrout made it feel.

Samantha is found on the side of the room, bruised, bloody, and looking like she was beaten. Picked up by a police man and taken to the hospital, she realizes she has no idea who she is, or where she is. She can't remember what has happened. All she remembers is terrifying flashes of blood and rocks, and the feeling of falling.

Yeah, this amnesia lasts the entire book so you better get used to it.

It's really incredible, and yes I will continue to mention it, how the author captured the essence of not knowing who you are. Sam feels like an alien in her body, in her own life. People hate her, and she doesn't know why, because those facts and events are from her "previous life."

But Sam is luckier than most: she gets a second chance at life. She can be better and sweeter and kinder to everyone around her and mend the scars that she caused.

And, is it good?



Sam realizes that she was one huge… female dog… (yeah, keeping it PG13) to others. She hung out with some… ladies… that made her act really… female doggy… to others. And it was amazing to watch Sam realize that what she used to do was dumb (To put it lightly)! The transition and character development was awesome and incredibly well done.

The other main character, Carson Ortiz, is an interesting character. He has been lusting after Sam ever since they were children and to me, his whole thought process sounded like "now that she's lost her memory and become cooler, we can date!" Something like that.

There was a little bit of instalove, and a little bit of "my god he is the spawn of angels" from Sam's side, but they mostly had a cute relationship.

Moving forward...

Sam had literally AWESOMEST BROTHER EVER. He was super protective and knew just when to let her do something and let loose the leash. He wasn't like any other brotherly character I've ever read about. Most of the time, the brothers I read about are annoying or clingy or rude or just downright annoying. But this guy, this guy takes the cake.

He was so awesome and I'm just gonna leave it at that.

The plot wasn't new, but it had some nice twists on it that I really enjoyed. As I mentioned earlier, it was very hooking. The mystery wasn't very great. There was't anything that really surprised me in the grand scheme of things. But, the characters are the strong point of this book, in my opinion.

Overall, this book was pretty good. The plot wasn't specifically special, and neither was the romance (though it was cute) but the characters are definitely the strong part. Of course, take this review with a grain of salt, as it is my opinion.

Hopefully you can read this, as it is not a disappointment.



Thanks for taking time out of your busy, busy day to read this somewhat lengthy, somewhat repetitive, and surely verbose review. Thank you! Don't forget to comment!


No comments:

Post a Comment