Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Review of Black Bird Volume 4 (Black Bird #4) by Kanoko Sakurakouji



Link to book: Black Bird Volume 4

This book was… not really what I expected.

I don't really look at the ratings on mangas. By that, I mean the little tiny thing on the back that says for what age group the book is directed. I don't read those for several reasons: 1) I'm a badass and I can read it whatever it's like (both untrue), and 2) I didn't even notice the rating thing until halfway through finished this book.

Yeah, I should pay attention to those from now on.

(This review contains minor spoilers for the previous books in the series and this book as well.)

I was not expecting most of the things that happened throughout the series. It was a cluster of events that were inappropriate, annoying, and hilariously infuriating. You should have seen me when I was reading this. Every ten pages, I would set the book down and scream in fury at the stupidity of Misao and the other characters.

But mostly Misao.

Our story so far:

Misao has been able to see demons for her entire life; the sad story is, she's the only one who can (that's what she thinks). When her childhood friend (and first love) comes back to live in the house next to hers, she can't help but feel an attraction (cheesy, I know). Especially when he can see the demons too. SPOILER: HE'S A DEMON. Actually, not really a spoiler.

Turns out Misao is the maiden bride of prophecy. Whichever demon marries her and (oh god why do I have to say it like this) produce offspring with her will bring prosperity to their clan.

So naturally, everyone goes bat-shit crazy over Misao.

There are many things that grate on my nerves about this character. One of them is the fact that SHE IS CRYING ON EVERY GODDAMN COVER IN THIS SERIES.


It's weird crying. He's nibbling on her ear/awkwardly touching her and she's like, "The pain is too much but it's so nice" or something weird like that.


Yeah, I know.

Moving forward onto the things that piss me off about Misao: My main problem with her is the fact that she is completely incompetent. She does things without thinking of the possible repercussions, and gets herself into terrible situations. So far, she has been nearly raped, killed, and sexually harassed by multiple men (all of which are demons). 

This is terrible. I am not saying it's not. It is absolutely horrid that Misao has to be in these situations, but it's the fact that SHE DOES NOTHING BUT CRY AND WHINE when she's in these situations that bothers me. If someone is shoving you down on the floor, wouldn't you fight back? At least kick or punch or SOMETHING. Anything. But Misao just cries and is like "Oh, Kyo, my knight in shining armor! Come save me!" Which is convenient because he has an uncanny ability of always locating and saving her. It would be alright if he saved every once in a while, but nooooo, he always saves her. She has no motivation to fight back or perhaps learn some self-defense.

Now, my next problem is with Kyo, our protagonist creeper dude.

He's four years older than Misao: she's sixteen, he's twenty. Throughout the entire book he's like, "Let's get married!" Am I the only one who thinks that's a little young? And then he says, "I understand this is going fast for you, so I will wait until you're ready." Then he's there in the corner forcing his hands up Misao's shirt and/or skirt. 

Speaking of which, this guy/demon is so incredibly horny MOST OF THE TIME. He might say "sweet" things, confessing his love over and over again to her, but then he will kiss her (and she obviously starts crying) and play it off like he needs healing. (Demons can be healed by kissing her; this actually means they are taking some of her energy.)

No joke, he actually said at some point in the previous novels that his "little Tengu was raising it's head." I hope that I don't have to explain what that means.

Now that that is out, I want to address some specific parts that happened in this book and the previous one (the plot starts there and continues into the next one).

(This part will be highlighted to signify spoilers.)

1) There was a guy hiding in an incinerator claiming it was comfy and quiet. That doesn't really make any sense to me. It just sounds dangerous and weird.

2) Some guy tries to kill Misao. No worries; she's saved by Kyo. The disturbing part is that he forces Misao to watch him be slaughtered. Kyo slices him down with his sword and everyone makes sure she watches it. In her head, she is trying to justify why he would do that. She comes to the conclusion that Kyo and his Eight Daitengu (his guards/friends; her guardians) were making sure she was worthy of being Kyo's wife. *shakes head* Misao, you don't need to justify why he was making you watch someone you knew be killed. It's just plain messed up. Now she has to live with the fact that Kyo will kill anyone who tries to touch her. That's a lot of weight on the conscience.

3) This part was actually really sad. The accomplice of the guy who was brutally slaughtered is spared (because he didn't specifically try to kill Misao, unlike the other guy). His name is Kensuke and he literally made me so sad. Misao was so nice to him, giving him a friend when Kensuke never really had one. Then he was forced to leave and you (the reader) know that it's probably the last time that we will see him. He gives her the gift of his venom (which will basically protect her) and asks to keep the handkerchief she gave him. Then he leaves with a heartbreaking smile and a goodbye. *sobs loudly*

4) Misao decides it's a good idea to kiss the horny demon while wearing nothing but a bathrobe. You can see how that would never be a good idea.

Okay, you're good. No more spoilers.

 I just wanna say that most of the spoilers were from the previous book and the beginning of this one. I was writing this review when I realized this. *laughs* Sorry.

*sigh* I think that's the basis of what I wanted to cover on this book. I'm a little bit on the fence on whether or not I wanna keep reading this story. I love reading manga and I really wanna see it through to the end, but there are much better mangas to read. We shall see though.

My rating:

Oh, you thought I was lying when I talked about these covers having "crying Misao" on every single one of them and "ear-nibbling/weirdly-touching Kyo"?

I don't lie.
I kid you not.
Misao, why?
Misao, STAHP
MISAO, PLEASE DON'T DO THIS

It is painful to say, but that's pretty much her character throughout the series so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment